The monastery of Los Santos Reyes (The Three Wisemen) overlooks the town of Metztitlán and the valley below. Originally built in a low-lying area near Lake Metztitlán, the convento was moved due to flooding. Its present location high on the mountainside overlooks the town. It required more than a million cubic feet of earth to build a level space for its enormous atrium in the steep terrain. Los Santos Reyes was founded in 1538, moved in the 1540's, and completed in the 1560's. Unlike most 16th century examples, this single-nave church faces south, probably due to the topography of the site. Other irregularities in design include the placement of its posa chapels and a double open chapel.